15 Positive Quotes To Brighten Your Cold Winter Day

I’m busy writing next month’s chapter of the ZEN MAMA’S CHALLENGE. (It will be sent out towards the end of the week.) This month’s subject is Positive Thought.

As many of you know, I love quotes! I’ve gathered together some of my very favorites on Positive Thought. Hope you enjoy them, too.

15 Of My Favorite Positive Thought Quotes:

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.
~Abraham Lincoln

Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?
~Dennis and Wendy Mannering

All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
The mind is everything. What we think we become.

~Buddha

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,
I met a man who had no feet.

~Ancient Persian Saying

In the depth of winter I finally learned that
there was in me an invincible summer.

~Albert Camus

Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that
every lot has enough happiness provided for it.

~Fyodor Dostoevsky

Joy is a flower that blooms when you do.
~Author Unknown

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones,
you’ll start having positive results.

~Willie Nelson

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

~Thich Nhat Hanh

Since the house is on fire let us warm ourselves.
~Italian Proverb

If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled
with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.

~Rabbi Harold Kushner

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
~Marcus Aurelius

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

~Winston Churchill

He who possesses the source of enthusiasm will achieve
great things. Doubt not. You will gather friends around you
as a hair clasp gathers the hair

~ I Ching

The more man meditates upon good thoughts,
the better will be his world and the world at large.

~Confuscius

Like what you’ve read and want Zen Mama delivered to your email? I promise your email won’t be shared. Subscribe here:

This entry was posted in Positve Thought, Quotes, Zen Mama Challenge. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 15 Positive Quotes To Brighten Your Cold Winter Day

Thanks for these! Many familiar, a few new, but all WONDERFUL!
    Looking forward to Positive Month! Oh, do I need it in the depth of winter:)

Thanks for all you do! Stay warm down there!
    Love,
    Little Lessons Under the Big Sky recently posted..Den Chronicles- The Sounds of Silence

Thanks Jen! It will be along hopefully on Saturday. I thought we could all use positive thoughts to make it until Spring. Hope you’re staying warm, too!

I love the quotes. And I was surprised that I loved the ones by Camus and Dostoevsky. Once upon a time, they really depressed this lit major.

Good luck with the chapter!

Well, maybe they’re depressing in context but taken out of context, I agree, they’re quite nice quotes! The chapter is done! And I actually like it! Are you getting the Zen Mama Challenge materials? I can send the first and this one along to you if you’re not.

P.S. Most of my favorite quotes are from a certain four-year-old. But branching outside of the family I love this one by Thoreau:

“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.”

Love all things Thoreau!

4. Hi B’etsy,
    Even though the sun is out here it’s 50 here.

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,
    I met a man who had no feet.
    ~Ancient Persian Saying

This brings me to my knees in gratitude every time.

Glad you enjoyed the Persian saying! And glad you’re having better weather than we are!

I love that one on attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay warm over there. We’re taking turns breaking up ice in the driveway. Yuck. “When breaking up ice in the driveway, break up ice in the driveway.” (LOL!)
    sheila recently posted..Oh deer!

You always make me laugh Sheila! Good luck with your weather!

6. Pingback: what we think we become | lucille in the sky

7. Lucy says:

Oh. I looooove these. All of them. The one by the Buddha inspired today’s post on my blog. I linked back to this post as well. Thank you :)

Hi Lucy,
    I’m so glad you like the quotes. I think I’m going to do this more often. My last book was a book of quotes so I have plenty!!
    I’m also glad to have to discovered your blog! Great Wednesday Wisdom post! I’m looking forward to reading more!

8. SomeGirl says:

What great quotes! I love the one by Abraham Lincoln… which reminds me of stuff Dennis Prager says; do you listen to him?

Btw, the Fyodor Dostoevsky quote is a great summary of the One Thousand Gifts book I gave away. Which makes me think… you sent me a book last year and I want to send you a book!

Would you please email me your address? Please?! :)

Thanks for brightening this cold, winter day!

Glad you liked them Michelle! I haven’t heard of Dennis Prager I’ll look him up. The book sounded wonderful…if you have extras I’d love one. My address is on the way!

9. Cherie says:

I love these. I need to post a few of these on the frig!! Thanks for the uplifting spin today, our third day of no school!
    Cherie recently posted..The Blizzard of 2011 – Yep- We Knew It Was Coming

Hi Cherie,
    So glad you liked them! They certainly inspire me! We didn’t have school for two days. Our problem was extreme cold. It surprises people that we actually have pretty mild winters in Denver despite all the snow! Looking forward to reading you blog.

10. Carol says:

Love these positive quotes. I shared this article on Facebook to uplift anyone who chooses to read them. Namaste, Carol
    P.S. Did you see we are having a live chat with Annie Burnside author of Soul to Soul Parenting on 2/10/11 in our BlogFrog community? We hope you can make it if your available. http://theblogfrog.com/1355013/forum/77760/live-event-feb-10th-730-eastern-guest-author.html
    Carol recently posted..Live Chat With Annie Burnside- MED Author Of Soul To Soul Parenting 2-10-2011

Thanks Carol for sharing on facebook. I’m excited to hear the live chat on blogfrog. I’ll check out your link! The book looks wonderful!

11. Jenilee says:

Great post! I love reading quotes. really like the joy one!
    Jenilee recently posted..Excited for Spring

12. Mommyfriend says:

These are great. My favorite is “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
    an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”
    ~Winston Churchill
    That Winston Churchill was quite a man. I have a quote of his over my desk that says, “Never, never, never give up.”
    Mommyfriend recently posted..The Unnatural Art of Breastfeeding

13. Love this post. You know I’m a big fan of quotes as well! Also, I know I didn’t participate in the first month but I did get your email. Can I get the second month email as well. I would really like to participate. I just need to get some more sleep first! ;)

14. Shannon Franklin says:

I thought we could all use positive thoughts to make it until Spring. I think I’m going to do this more often. Hope you’re staying warm, too! I would really like to participate.

So glad you enjoyed!! I’d love to have you participate, too! Thanks for stopping by Zen Mama!

15. Pingback: Have A Positively Wonderful New Year | The Zen Mama's Blog

16. Love reading these quotes. I am so glad I read these quotes, these surely brighten my mood.