What We Think We Become

“One word than can ruin all positive thought. Don’t let STRESS get in the middle of your positive thoughts.”
~ Zen Mama

This week I was like one of the three little pigs.
Except, instead of the big, bad, wolf knocking at my door, it was Stress.

Even though my theme for this holiday season is “slowing down” and I’m trying to make my day last forever, I still had one week where I worked at preschool, had a Zen Mama sale to get ready for and a different activity every evening. Whew! I could feel stress there just behind the door, huffing and puffing. I had trouble sleeping at night knowing I had so much to do. I got exhausted but I was able to keep Stress from blowing the house down.

How? Want to know my secret. I used my most powerful weapon. My thoughts. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while or have read my books you probably know that I believe that your thoughts create who you are. If you have negative thoughts, you have a negative life. If you have positive thoughts, you have a positive life. I also believe that if you change the way look you think about things, the things you think about change. It’s seems too simple to be true but guess what? It works.

Every year I have to remind myself this. That’s why I wanted to repost part of a post I wrote for last holiday season called “Sparkle Twinkle”:

Words are powerful. Remember the old saying “Stick and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.” Well, it’s just not true! Words can hurt you. But remember that words can make you happy, too.

John and I took yoga for several years with a teacher named Suzanne. She always stressed that it was our response to life that can give us stress or not. She got stressed out by her teenage daughter, traffic and the Christmas season. She would laugh as she told us stories of locking herself in the bathroom while her teenage daughter was outside (instead of the other way around). In traffic she would breathe deeply before she had a bad thought for the other driver.

You know what stresses us out at Christmas? It’s the lines at the post office and the stores, Christmas cards, relatives who want you everywhere at once and parties. Suzanne said that we could use our language to relieve our stress at this time of the year. She said that there are two words that you can’t help but smile when you say them: Sparkle and Twinkle.

sparkle – to be brilliant, lively, or vivacious.

twinkle – to shine with a flickering or sparkling light

Sparkle and Twinkle are real holiday words.

These two words conjure up such wonderful images. Sparkle is something new, a little bell, an ornament, or someone’s smile. Twinkle can be the look in someone’s eye (maybe Santa or a young child), a star, or lights across a lake. I see a little elf with a silver, sparkling ornament behind it. John sees Tinkerbell sprinkling pixie dust everywhere.

Suzanne would have us breathe in a deep breath through our nose and breathe out thinking “sparkle, twinkle”. But the real power is in saying them out loud. Try it…sparkle, twinkle. You can’t help but smile. I tried it with my kids when they were little. It especially worked with my middle child who really felt the stress of school. He still remembers it today at 18. He tried a few days ago to say them without smiling and still couldn’t.
Other happy words to think of:

jolly

love
thrill

merry
dazzle

glitter

happiness

Can you think of any others?

Even though you still have all those holiday chores to get done, say these words, “Sparkle, Twinkle” out loud. Maybe it will change your attitude. You’ll smile and tell your brain to be happy. Your brain will release endorphins and serotonin and then you really will become happy. Good luck! And have fun!!

“All that we are is the result of what we have thought.”

~Buddha

“All that we are is the result of what we have said out loud.”

~the Zen Mama

This entry was posted in Changing Ourselves, optimism, Parenting, Positve Thought and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to What We Think We Become

Ah a wonderful post for this time of year (or any but this time especially). I’ll add a word: BREATHE.

Hope this coming week is less stressful for you… although I must say you handle it well and inspire others that “this too shall pass”. Good to know!

Thanks Sheila,
    Perfect word to add. I’ve totally made it through the week. I had my Friday plans cancel on me!!!
    I’ve always loved that saying, “this too shall pass”.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    Sparkle
    Twinkle
    It will be my mantra today:) It has been a crazy few weeks for me too.

I completely agree about how we speak and think becoming our reality. One funny thing. My 8 year old son was frustrated last week and was playing on the computer some silly game. It was called “Turtle Hockey”. He started saying it emphatically over and over and we all started laughing. So, we now have a new “SWEAR” word in the house that makes us all smile and relieves a bit of stress.
    So…I have been saying TURTLE HOCKEY alot this week. And I will add
    Sparkle
    Twinkle

Xo

Your are so welcome!! I’m breathing peacefully now! We have just a little bit more business but not like last week! Love the “Turtle Hockey” story! Amazing what can turn into the best family inside joke! I’ll be thinking of you as you “sparkle and twinkle” up in Montana!

Wonderful – you have brightened my day! Two words that come to mind are beam, and glee. Hope you have an calmer week. The holidays seem to sneak up on us with all the things we want to accomplish. But we can change our thoughts – great point.

I love sparkle and twinkle – very nice!

Glad to have brightened your day, Cathy. Love beam and glee. Hope you are having a relaxed few weeks up until the big day!
    Have fun “sparkling and twinkling”!

4. And this is why I love you so!

Your attitude just positively emanates to everyone around you.

Glad you enjoyed reading it! A positive attitude is the best way to go through life!! But I have my moments, too… 🙂
    Have a great weekend!

Wow! I was preaching the “thoughts” concept to my Vidur yesterday! What I really would like to do is put this post on a pedestal, Betsy. This is a concept that has kept me sane in the worst situations in life. I have a pragmatic maternal uncle who loves to say “There is nothing so bad that cannot be worse” – each time I hear it, I interpret it in my own way – believing that what goes up MUST bounce back up. Visually challenged, I wear permanent pink spectacles. I’d add “Laughter” to that list of words – that action alone lifts off a lot of stress. I also sing to relieve tension.

Oh, but I love this post! Thanks! now, I must create a “favorite posts” tab on my blog and add this :-D.

By the way, remember the “Zen” jar I made? 😀 It is full. I am going to leave it that way. Talk about cup runneth over! We’ve decided to open it in the last week of December just to check out what each of us has written on it.

Vidya! Thank you so much!! Love that you enjoyed this so much. I love what you Uncle said and the bounce theory! I might have to write with that in mind sometime!
    How could I have forgotten laughter… I will add that to the list.

I can’t believe your Zen Jar is full… just like your life is so full. Can’t wait to hear about the results and have you guest post for me! Thanks!

6. I LOVE the sparkle/twinkle idea, Betsy! So true that thoughts – and words – can make a huge difference! Christmas can be such a beautiful time of year, and it’s nice to know techniques that can help keep it beautiful. 🙂

Thanks Deb! So glad you enjoyed. I know from reading your posts that you think the same way! Looking forward to seeing your next positive word or saying.
    Hope you’re having a happy holiday!

7. Danielle says:

What a breath of fresh air! I love your blog so much I subscribed! Thank you so much for being such an inspiration!!

So happy to see you here Danielle! And so happy to see you’ve subscribed. I’ll have to do the same because I loved reading through your blog. Glad you found some inspiration here!!

8. Love it, love it, love it Betsy. When I’m feeling all strung out and frazzled, I come to your blog to get centered. The Christmas Holidays are my favorite. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy and generous. I’ll breathe . . . .
    Happy Holidays
    Patricia Merker

Pat, So glad the post helped you! It’s so important to be positive but so hard when you’re feeling frazzled! Hope you have a wonderful holiday, too!

9. Steph says:

hey I love your blog! Interesting because I’m usually a chatty person, since I’ve been doing almost daily practice for about 2 1/2 months; I feel the need to talk less. It’s so interesting.

Glad you love the blog! Talking less can be very relaxing, can’t it.
    Thanks for stopping by Steph!

Ooooh fun–a word game.

Dazzle
    Brilliance
    Beaming
    Exhilarate
    Mirth
    Lyrical
    Bubbly
    Champagne
    Mimosa
    Tipsy

Can you tell that I am punch drunk with insomnia?

XOXO,
    Jenny, who has been working on her breathing

Nice!!! I especially like the way you continue on towards the end. Those last four words do make me smile though… I’m up in the middle of the night, too. A good time to get things done! Hope your life is a little less crazy and that the breathing is helping!!

11. I just noticed Jenny’s response and had to chuckle. In the mood for a cocktail?

Great post, Betsy. Love the holiday time. I also wish and hope it spills long into the new year.

You’ve got to go read Jenny Bean’s Blog. Very funny!! The positive needs to spill over. It’s my goal for my blog in 2012.