An Angel Visit

Angel 013
“All God’s angels come to us disguised.”
~James Russell Lowell

This is the time of the year that our kids can drive us crazy. The weather is bad. It gets dark early. I know when my kids were young, it was easy to lose patience at this time of year, especially when we couldn’t go outside quite so much. I’d have mommy guilt for putting them in front of another movie.

But then, just when you feel you’re losing it, kids can remind you of the simple truths. They can send you a powerful message about yourself and love.

One of my friends in the blogging world is Julie at A Place For Thoughts. She is the mother of a toddler and a baby. She told me this story about her toddler. He had gotten a hold of something precious and breakable and broke it. She learned something amazing. (Besides keeping your things too high for a child to reach!)

“Years ago my grandmother gave me a worry box. I was going through something fairly difficult and this gift was more than a blessing to me. She couldn’t realize just how much it meant to me. At the time my grandmother was more interested in talking about what was happening at the neighbor’s house than anything sentimental.

Inside the box were three angels with a passage written that read: This box is for your worries, the aches within your heart. A place to tuck away your fears, where love and hope can start. So keep this box beside you, and know how much they care, for when you need peace and joy the angels will be there.

Throughout the years there have been times when this box was tucked away in a safe place. At other times it has even been forgotten but earlier this year I came across it on a day that I really needed to. Then the next day someone else came across it. My toddler.

As quick as he could he started shaking the box. By the time I got to him the angels were in pieces. Between lack of sleep and feeling sad I really didn’t study what was left of them because it seemed that they were all broken. I quickly skimmed for the sharp pieces of glass, got rid of them and then I closed the box and placed it on my dresser.

The other day my son grabbed the box again and walked towards me with it saying, “Angols, Angols!” With a smile at the way he says angel, I opened up the box to look at what remained. I gently pushed through the pieces and there it was. One angel. Unharmed. Beautiful. Strong. And I was reminded that all you need is one.

I asked Julie what she meant by “All you need is one.” She told me it did have a double meaning but it was up to each of us to figure out what our own meaning is.

What do you think?

*Julie’s blog is a place to share thoughts, feelings and experiences for herself and she invites others to as well. She wanted to offer an anonymous place where people could get things off their chest if they needed a safe place to do so. She wanted her blog to be inviting to others. To let them know that it was there for them as much as it was for her. “My blog was also a way to start to write again after not doing so for so long.” Visit A Place For Thoughts and leave your own message for Julie.

** Photo: Juliett-Foxtrott

Like what you’ve read and want the ZEN MAMA’S BLOG delivered to your email address? I promise I won’t share your email!!

Post Popularity 43.06%
Popularity Breakdown
Comments 43.06%

This entry was posted in Positve Thought. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to An Angel Visit

Awwwwww what a sweet blog post! Very very nice! I think that Julie is right, we can all have our own meaning for that. And it can apply to SO many different things! Lovely!

2. Betsy says:

Thanks Sheila! I agree, it is a very sweet story. And amazing that one angel was left… a little miracle.

Children have a knack of making us understand important things. 🙂 In India, we refer to children under 5 as little Lord Krishnas (Lord Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu, was loved by all). And so, we consider it a sin to scold them :-).

I remember when we were moving house once, Vidur was just over a year old. We were packing the crockery and other stuff ourselves, so we could carry the cartons along each time we went to the new place, in the process of moving. There was this particularly gorgeous set of china – cream with blue flowers – a wide curved jar with little cups that would look amazingly sweet placed on a tray on a side table. I was just telling my mom we’ve got to pack that with some clothes to keep it safe, when Vidur grabbed the tray off the table and finding it too heavy, dropped it. And became devastated at the noise. I was in shock and when my mom burst out laughing, I snapped out of it. My first emotion was anger – when mom pointed to Vidur’s face. She said, “Look at his expression! Priceless!” She grabbed him and smooched him and was more concerned about getting him out of his shock 🙂

After this, my mom would ask Vidur what he did “that day” and he would enact the scene out to us. Very hilarious. And my mom said – “you have one thing less to do – look at the bright side!”

Loved this post.

What a wonderful story Vidya. I think we all have them. I was growing some lillies in my front garden years ago. They were just about to bloom when they were all trampled by 3 little boys! I’m ashamed to say I yelled quite a bit (this is before I became a Zen Mama). My poor little nephew had probably never been yelled at. I felt horrible later. There was no way to ever get the lillies back. I love what you do in India and call your under 5s “Little Lord Krishnas” That is beautiful!

4. Joy says:

One little nugget of faith..and one smile to share it through…one burst of sunshine..one hug..one amazing story to remind us all of the “power of one” ♥ We think we need it “all” but we only need “one” moment…this one, and we have it 🙂

Thank you for sharing such a precious opportunity to reflect upon what is truly important!

You’re so right Joy! We think we need it all but in reality we already have everything we need. Thanks for your insight.

I love this story. Yes, all you do need is one. One angel. Or one strong belief in a power greater than you that loves you and will assist you in times of need. Thank you for introducing me to Julie.

I love how you put that “a power… that loves you and will assist you in times of need”. That’s true faith!

6. Stacey says:

Hey Betsy!

I found you from Lance’s blog and I’m so glad I followed you here! I love this story of the angels and the worry box. I traveled in Guatemala and they have little Worry Dolls for that purpose. This is such a lovely tradition to adopt for ourselves and pass on to our children. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hi Stacey,
    Thanks for returning the visit. I think I’ve seen those little Guatemalan dolls. It’s amazing that objects like that work. I have a little bracelet you a box on that I wear when something is bothering me. Maybe it allows us to let go of what is bothering us and trust.

So glad to have you here!

7. I have a worry box too! I’ve always loved it and there is something about writing down my ‘problems’ and worries and putting them in the box that releases it for me. It’s a ceremonious kind of thing. Julie sounds like a very special mom that was very specially picked to raise her little girl. Not all of us would find the grace that she has found and regardless of her occasional bouts of feeling sorry and sad, it seems that she indeed, is exactly what her daughter needs. Such a gift.

The worry box does help. Even though you know that it’s not a real thing. It’s all perception! I believe Julie is a special mom. It is a gift to be what your child needs. (I think she has two boys!) Thanks Pat for coming by!

That is such a wonderful story! Thank you, and thanks to Julie for sharing!

I love Vidya’s story as well. I think children reflect old wise souls.
    But as a mom, I have been there as well. And some days I still feel like that with my teenagers. But then something sweet will be said, or a small token of affection will be granted, and I realize how trivial I was being….

The power of one is a fabulous phrase to meditate on….I can see the little angel in mind’s eye…very powerful!
    In Harmony,
    Jen ♫

Thanks Jen! I agree that children do seem to know things when they’re young. They send you special messages! I saw the angel in my mind’s eye, too. Julie, you’ll have to tell us what it really looked like.

9. Lucy says:

Ah..a breath of fresh air. These things really do make such a big difference. Worry boxes, worry dolls. This one sounds especially beautiful. To me, “all you need is one” perhaps means that all we need is one angel to fly with, and it also means that we’re all one: billions of fingers of one creation.

Lucy,
    I’m so glad you enjoyed. I love your thought that we are all one! I hadn’t thought of the quote that way. Beautiful!!

10. Pingback: My Guest Post – An Angel Visit «

11. Maggie says:

Betsy – such a precious story. Great picture to accompany it as well, that’s a beautiful angel.

Thanks Maggie! I love the picture as well. Glad you came by today.

12. What a great and inspiring story to share. It made me smile today.

It’s a wonderful story, isn’t it? Glad you enjoyed!!

13. Hi Sheila! I’m glad you liked the story. I love how we can all come away from a post with our own special take of it.

14. Vidya – what a great story! Thank you for sharing that!

15. Betsy – thanks so much for sharing this story here. Also, I’m starting to reply to some of the comments but they are all just falling at the end. Which is fine I just tried to respond under their thoughts. I love the James Lowell quote you shared. Perfect!

16. Hi Stacey! I’m going to have to look up worry dolls! Not sure that I’ve ever seen one!

17. What a sweet comment, Patricia. Thank you! And Betsy is right; two boys. 🙂

18. Hi Jen! Thank you!

The angel is clear glass with wings, a gold tone halo, with her hands together almost like the angel is expecting a bird to land.

19. Love that, Lucy! Thanks for sharing what it means to you!

20. Hi Missy! Glad that the story brought a smile to you today!

21. patsy says:

What a great idea to have a worry box! Sometimes we need a concrete action to make something real. Like some people burn pcs of paper where they put memories that need healing, or some people bury pcs of paper where they write their goals or something.