A Beautiful Poem and Inspirational Quotes for Mother’s Day

“In teaching (and mothering) you cannot see the fruit of a day’s work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.”
~ Jacques Barzun

Mothers, as we know, are very influential in their child’s life. I don’t think we even know how much we influence them. We mainly influence them by example. We act, they look.

Each stage with our children is about letting go. From the moment our children lift their heads up and roll over, they are working towards independence and we need to let go at each stage. We don’t have to worry (but we will anyway!) because hopefully if we were doing our job of setting a good example, they were watching. Remember that saying? “Do as I say, not as I do.” Children are always watching you!

I am so lucky to have the mother I do as an example of how to be the best mom. She is the original Zen Mama. Growing up she was ever present yet not hovering. She didn’t seem to worry and always trusted that I was making the right decisions. When I had problems, she listened, without judgement and then gave me solid advice but didn’t press me into following it. When the time came for me to go to college, travel or move to Colorado, she let me go on these grand adventures in life with a smile and a cheer even though inside she knew she’d miss me. We are finally living in the same town again, much to my joy and delight. My mom is a blessing and my inspiration!

And to my children, Max, Charlie and Oliver, thank you so much for teaching me these many lessons about what being a mother is all about! You’ve changed my life. In letting you go, I’m able to see to sit back and see the person you’ve become. You’re all perfect the way you are and I love being your mother.

I posted the following poem last year but think it’s worthwhile to publish it again this Mother’s Day.
I added a few extra quotes as well. So enjoy your Mother’s Day and know that our children are watching and will reflect what we’ve shown them in life.

When You Thought I Wasn’t Looking

“When you thought I wasn’t looking,
I saw you hang up my first painting on the refrigerator, and I wanted to paint another one.
When you thought I wasn’t looking,
I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn’t looking,
I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I knew that little things are special things.
When you thought I wasn’t looking,
I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.
When you thought I wasn’t looking,
I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, I LOOKED….
and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking.”

A few more Mother’s Day quotes to inspire you and make you feel blessed

“The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.”
~ Author Unknown
(Thank you to the Zen Papa for loving me!)

“The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.”
~ Honoré de Balzac

“A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.”
~ Tenneva Jordan

“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”
~ Rajneesh

“A mother understands what a child does not say.”
~ Jewish Proverb

“It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn’t.”
~ Barbara Kingsolver

“You don’t really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around – and why his parents will always wave back.”
~ William D. Tammeus

“There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.”
~ Chinese Proverb

“When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.”
~ Sophia Loren

“I’d like to be the ideal mother, but I’m too busy raising my kids.”
~ Unknown

I invite you read Tess’s post, at the Bold Life, to about forgiveness and get some great ideas for Mother’s Day. I also recommend Sheila Burke’s reflective post at Zensational Living on becoming like her mother, a grandmother, years from now.

Would you like the Zen Mama’s Blog delivered to your inbox? Just enter your email below. I promise it won’t be shared!!

This entry was posted in Holidays, Parenting, Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to A Beautiful Poem and Inspirational Quotes for Mother’s Day

awwwwwwwwwwwwww! what a sweet post!
    happy mother’s day!

Thanks Sheila! Hope you have a Happy Mother’s Day, too!

Okay, so I am crying here. Happy tears. I remember when you posted that poem last year, Betsy – has the time flown so soon? 🙂 I am savoring all the quotes along with your beautiful post. My heart is just about to burst with happiness.

Love you, Betsy. I am so glad you’re in my life.

And loved the photos!

Love, Vidya

Thank you so much Vidya! I’m so glad you’re in my life, too!

What a cute family you have. Your mom looks so sweet and you wrote a beautiful tribute to her. How fun to have your three loving boys. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day this Sunday!

Thank you Cathy! My mother is very sweet and the boys are great!! Hope you have a happy Mother’s Day, too!!

4. Aileen says:

So So Beautiful!!!!!!!!

Hope you have a most amazing Mothers Day on Sunday 🙂

Thanks Aileen!! I hope you do, too, either with your own mother, or if you have kids, for yourself.

5. Carolyn Hughes says:

Have already celebrated Mother’s Day in the UK but this post makes me want to celebrate motherhood everyday! Wonderful quotes!

Thank you Carolyn! We should celebrate Mother’s Day every day!! Thanks for your comment!

My sister raised three boys, her husband’s brother and sister each had three girls. Three matched sets–I always thought that was so interesting! But I digress–what a lovely post. Your mom looks like she would be a lot of fun to hang out with. I love your zen family!

That’s so interesting! My sister and I both have boys and my two brothers both have girls. And you’d love my mom!! Thanks for commenting Galen!

7. This made me smile. There is nothing more challenging, fascinating, and joyful than being a Mom. I love how we’re trending toward helping one another and supporting one another, realizing that we each do the best we can and in the end, we are loved.

Thank you Julie! Yes, it is a challenge. And the support we all give each other, amazing! I never found such a supportive community. Thanks for commenting Julie!

8. Happy Mother’s Day, Zen Mama! Looks like you have a wonderful mother and wonderful kids so the day should be perfect — just as you deserve ;-x

A belated “Thank You” for your comment Dangerous Linda! I had a wonderful Mother’s day. Hope you did, too!

9. Nikky44 says:

Such a Beautiful Post!!!!
    Thank you so much!! The poem, the quotes, everything!!!

Nikky,
    So glad you enjoyed! A belated “Thank You” for your comment!!

10. J.D. Meier says:

> Each stage with our children is about letting go.
    So true. And each letting go, marks embracing a new beginning.

Letting go is happening all the time, isn’t it J.D.? And you’re right it marks a new beginning so we should embrace letting go, too!
    A belated “Thank You” for your comment

11. Hiten says:

This was a lovely Mother’s Day post!

Thanks for introducing us to the original Zen Mama! 🙂 She sounds like an amazing lady.

I really enjoyed the quotes by the way.

12. Love it Betsy, beautiful Mother’s Day poem. There are so many wonderful things that touch us in a special way when it comes to our mothers, and yet, no words can adequately describe the relationship, but we still try; and how touching. I hope your Mother’s Day was grand.

Patricia

13. Great post, Betsy. I hope your Mother’s Day was just beautiful!

14. Pingback: God could not be everywhere | Vidya Sury