Lessons To Be Learned By Bees and Flowers

Yellow Water Lilly in the Monet PondLast Friday I headed over to the Botanical Gardens in the early morning coolness contemplating life, flowers and insects. I needed to get away from my own garden and all the weeds, mostly thistles, that are growing there. The garden and all the cleanup was just a little overwhelming and made me feel cranky. So, I took my mother and the Zen Papa with me to the Botanical Gardens. Cameras in hand, we moved slowly, snapping pictures everywhere we went. Like a mini vacation, I felt renewed at the end of the day. Forgotten were my weeds and the work that needed to be done. I came away with these lessons at the end of the day.

Lesson #1: The importance of Mindfulness. It’s so important in the summer to take time out in nature and appreciate the amazing world in the garden, whether it’s in your own yard or in a park. You’ll feel rejuvenated and more in touch with your inner self.

What incredible design on the Spider’s body if you look closely.

“If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.”

~ American Quaker Saying

Lesson #2: We live in a world where we’re all interconnected. We must take care of each other and our environment. Like Bees, when we work together, we humans are capable of miraculous accomplishments. Don’t wish others harm, but try to see their place in our society.

Everyone works together

Two bees gathering pollen for the hive.

“If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years.”

~ Albert Einstein

Lesson #3: Slow down!
Take time to slow down all you do. Stop completely at the stop sign. Look at the door you’re opening, slowly eat your food, enjoy the taste of your morning coffee or tea.

Being still allows you to see things you might otherwise miss.

“Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.”

~Lao Tzu

Lesson #4: Enjoy the little things in life!
It’s the little things in life that make our day, a child’s smile, a hug and a great conversation, enjoying a delicious meal or noticing wildlife. Don’t put those off to get things done.

I took this picture of the poppy and a swallowtail butterfly showed up at the right moment.

“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~Robert Barault

Lesson #5: Celebrate the diversity. Life is filled with differences, color, spice and variety. We don’t want to be the same as everyone. Be different and appreciate your friend’s, children’s and stranger’s individuality.

Japanese Maples Leaves

One of my favorite summer flowers, Lavender

“Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible – the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family.”
~Virginia Satir

The thistle attracts incredible pollinators.

“Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”
~Lao Tzu

By the way, today I spent time in my own garden.
It didn’t take too long to tidy it up so I can enjoy it and remind myself of the little lessons right in my own backyard. I even kept some beautiful thistles because they attract so many beautiful insects and butterflies. I learned my lessons and I am now content.

I’m linking to Unknown Mami’s photo tour. Click below if you’d like to travel the world through photos:

Unknown Mami

Like what you’ve read or want the Zen Mama Challenge delivered to your email? I promise your email won’t be shared. Subscribe here:

This entry was posted in Changing Ourselves, Finding Ourselves, Mindfulness, Photography, Quotes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Lessons To Be Learned By Bees and Flowers

Yes! Just what I’ve been doing too! 😀 And I know they all work! One of my favorite mood-uppers is going for a walk with my camera (I always carry it). When we decide to notice, every little thing looks amazing, even a twig on the road side. One particular sight that I find cute is a bunch of donkeys that hang around a short walk away from our place. There are about seven or eight or them, with two little ones. I keep track of the pregnant ones 😀 and watch for the baby donkeys. They look so charming. And I love how many people I smile at without knowing who they are – people who I’ve been seeing for years now in our area. I am loving life!

Lovely read and of course, the quotes are always priceless! Thank you , Betsy!

Isn’t it the greatest to see life through your lens? On the days I forget to bring it, there’s always some amazing shot that I miss!! The donkeys sound wonderful. Can’t wait to see some pics of the donkeys sometime! Thanks, as always, for your positive comments!!

2. These are amazing pictures, Betsy! I love them! And the lessons are so appropriate. I’m getting much better with slowing down and taking Lao Tzu’s words to heart. I’ve spent too much of my life stressing about getting things done quickly enough. Everything will get done in its own time.

Thank you for such a beautiful post – both the pictures and the words.

Big Hugs!
    Paige

Thanks Paige! I had so much fun taking them with a new camera I got a few month ago for my birthday. It automatically makes me slow down as I try to get the best shot. I think you’re doing a great job slowing down if you’re blog is any indication. Lao Tzu has so much wisdom!! So glad you enjoyed!
    Hugs back!!

Betsy….You’re singing to the choir with this post….I agree with everything you’ve said.
    In particular, I loved what you wrote in Lesson 6..
    “Lesson #6: In life there are thistles. I came back to my own garden looking at it differently. The thistles may represent people or situations in your life. We go about getting rid of the thistles in many negative ways. Maybe we need to take a second look at what we view as bad in life. We need to see the good. Just like my garden, we need to take a step back, not concentrate on the things that are wrong. Just like looking at the garden from far, look at life as a whole and see how beautiful it really is.”.

When it comes to how we perceive ourselves, most of us feel ashamed of what we consider to be stuff we don’t like about ourselves. So, we push them under and pretend they don’t exist. It is much healthier to give them room to breathe and give them the recognition they deserve….that in some cases, they have served you well.
    AND there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks for an uplifting post Betsy…xxoo-Fran

Fran,
    Your garden posts are always an inspiration to me! Thank you for your insight into “Lesson 6”. There is never anything to ever be ashamed of! As someone told me once, “There is no bad and good. It’s all good.” I so appreciate your comment!
    xoxox
    Betsy

4. So glad I took the time to stop by today Betsy and catch up with your beautiful photos and true-to-life wisdom.

Now I need to go weed my garden. I will think of it through your lens!!
    Happy Sunday, friend!
    xo

Jen,
    So glad you enjoyed!! And, it’s so nice to see your name here! I’ve missed your comments!
    Good luck with your weeding. I’ve been doing it for 2 days now in this 100 degree heat. Luckily we have a lake down the street to cool off in!
    Take care!

5. Leovi says:

Beautiful and delicate photos, excellent lessons. Greetings.

So glad you enjoyed, Leovi!

6. Keetha says:

I love your header photo – – – the path, the shade trees, and the light coming in from the left side. Lovely.

Thanks, Keetha! Wish I’d taken that shot!!

7. Judy Loeffler says:

What a beautiful Sunday inspiration! Having a camera does slow you down but then you record all of the wonderful sights around you

Thanks, Judy! I never realized what I would see when I slowed down with my camera!!

8. Pingback: How to use your imagination to create happiness | Britetalk

9. Hi ZM — So glad I stumbled on your beautiful site — and especially this post that articulates so well the simply profound lessons of curiosity, wonder and gratitude. Thank you for the good work you’re doing!

Thanks Jeffrey! Your comment sums everything up so perfectly!! So glad you to have you here.

10. Michelle says:

Great photos, they really captured some special moments. I love visiting botanical gardens, we always plan a visit to the local gardens when we’re traveling. With all the rush and movement involved with travel, I find very grounding.

Michelle,
    You put it perfectly: the rush and movement is just the opposite of the calmness of the gardens that ground you. Wonderful! We, too, often head to the gardens. So glad you enjoyed! Thanks for your comment!!

11. Gorgeous, Gorgeous shots, and as always – wonderful wisdom.

Thanks La Principessa! Glad you enjoyed the shots and the wisdom! The pictures bring the wisdom on themselves!

12. Robyn Engel says:

What wonderful, zen-filled messages and pictures. Thank you!

Be well.
    xoRobyn

Thank you Robyn! So glad you enjoyed the message and the pictures. Thanks so much for the comment. Hope you comment again!!

13. Pingback: 8 Questions That Will Shake You And Help You Live Your Dreams

14. Tami says:

You pictures of nature are lovely! I love taking pictures of nature. My husband is much more better than it than I, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. 🙂

I love everything about this post. I’ve never experienced unhappiness at a Botanical Garden. Flowers and bees make me smile.

16. Christie says:

Thank you for all the reminders. I couldn’t agree more with #2. So, so true.

17. One of my ‘soft places to fall’ is taking time to enjoy the beauty and fragrance of flowers in my garden. Appreciating how wonderful nature can be whether it’s in your own back yard or in a botanical garden is a great way to relax. 🙂

Love Love LOVE this post! Loved all the lessons, but especially #2. And ughhh my garden and flower beds are filled with thistles. Mostly from all the bird feeding my husband does, it’s all over the place and man that stuff hurts the bare hands! lol. I’ve decided that although I’m removing it from the flower beds, it’ll stay in the garden that I didn’t start this year. Didn’t have time to do it this year. And that’s okay.

19. Gorgeous pictures, Betsy. Even more beautiful messages!

20. BLOGitse says:

Sorry I’m late but haven’t had time/connect to blog.
    Thanks for your visit and comment!
    Life is great – especially when on vacation in Spain 🙂

21. Jan Johnsen says:

The glory of the garden lies in more than meets the eye”” – Rudyard Kipling. I have devoted my life to making gardens for the very reasons you state, Zen Mama! Thank you for this post. Serenity in the Garden.

Love the Kipling quote! May I use it on facebook? I’ll check out your site. I love it already with the name “Serenity In The Garden”! Thanks for commenting Jan!

What a gorgeous blend of photos, text, and quotations. I savored each part.

Thank you Galen! So glad you enjoyed!!

23. Unknown Mami says:

This is a beautiful thoughtful post. I have developed a whole new appreciation for weeds because it is the soils way of telling you that things are out of balance.

I love your thoughts on the soil telling you that it’s out of balance! That makes so much sense. I don’t have nearly the same amount of weeds where I added manure this year. Thanks for the comment!

24. Really enjoyed reading this – and taking a journey along with it. Reminds me of Depak Chopra’s 7 Spiritual Laws book and the power of connecting with nature on a regular basis. All the great laws of life are there, present, in nature – and when we connect we are lifted from one’s ordinary level of consciousnesses.

Aileen,
    I have Deepak Chopra’s book and read it a long time ago. I’ll have to pick it up again. Thanks for the reminder and the thoughtful comment.

25. Pingback: How not to worry about life | Britetalk

26. Pingback: How to Receive and Give Compliments for Inner Peace and Happiness | *Positive Provocations*

I’m in my garden right now as I read your wonderful post. I love the images and the quotes. Summer is the time to be outside and enjoy nature. It can be so comforting and soothing. I put more effort into my garden year, so I’m enjoying the pots of flowers that are beginning to overflow. Your lessons are perfect. The garden always brings me back to the little things in life.

Hi Cathy,
    So glad you enjoyed! It was a perfect day in the gardens when I took the pictures. My own garden had just been hit recently by a hail storm but it was finally beginning to recover when we got a heat wave. So the Botanic gardens beauty was a much needed lift. Yes, gardens are definitely an extension of life!

28. Hiten says:

This was a lovely post and you included some beautiful pictures in it. I agree, mindfulness is such a wonderful skill that one can practice and develop. We are giving ourselves a gift (and others) by developing more mindfulness.

Even now, when I catch myself not being in the present moment, and then bring my attention to the here and now, it is like waking up a deep sleep! It is such a pure and true state.

Hiten,
    So glad you enjoyed! You are so right that mindfulness is like a gift for ourselves and others! And it is a pure state where everything is good. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!

29. Alia says:

I just love this post. Such beautiful wisdom here. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Alia! So glad you enjoyed and commented!!

30. Jesslyn says:

Hey Betsy,
    I would not have realised the beauty of nature and that there is so much to learn from them if you have not blogged about it. Thanks for sharing! 🙂 And yes, I guess a lot of us are caught in the rat race and have not stop and smell the roses. To learn from the little things around us that we have taken for granted, to cherish what Mother Nature has endowed us.

So glad the post brought you something new! So often you when you write you wonder if you touched someone. Thanks for your comment! I’ll be sure to come and visit your site!

31. Star Traci says:

Good reminders and beautiful pics! Thanks for reminding me to slow down just a little on this busy Sunday.

🙂
    Traci

Thank you, Traci! So glad you were able to slow down and enjoy life through the post! Glad to have to you here!!

32. Pingback: TreatmentTalk – Treatment Talk Monthly Message - June 2012