Start Thinking You’re Lucky With Lucky Thinking!

“May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night.”
~Irish Blessing

~a conversation between the Zen Mama and the Zen Papa.

It’s almost St. Patrick’s Day! And I’d like to write about one of my favorite theories of positive thought that I call Lucky Thinking.

This is a type of thinking we try to do at the Henry house. Lucky thinking is another way of changing negative thoughts into positive ones.

You’ve heard people do it.

“We’re so lucky to have our health.”
“We’re so lucky to have a roof over our heads and food in our mouths.”
“We’re so lucky to live in Colorado.”
(Maybe not all of you are lucky enough to say this! )

It’s Lucky Thinking!

Luck is defined as: a force that brings good fortune or the events
or circumstances that operate for an individual.

Is that all? Is there more to being lucky than just chance?

Lucky thinking is changing the negative habits of anxiety and lack of confidence to the ability to be positive, see the positive and take advantage of opportunities that are constantly presenting themselves.

I found several Luck studies on the internet. These studies support the fact that we make our own luck.

In one study the volunteers were asked to do several simple experiments.

• First, the volunteers were asked to putt a golf ball into a hole on a putting green. 1/2 the volunteers were given “the lucky ball”. Then they putted. Yes, you guessed. The lucky ball players did much better than the other volunteers.

• The second experiment the volunteers tried putting little balls in a hole by tilting the board up. The people watching said to 1/2 the people something to the equivalent of “I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.” Yes, you guessed. These players did much better than the other volunteers.

• Half of the next volunteers got to take a “lucky charm” into the room with them as they were asked a series of questions. The rest got their lucky charm taken away. Yes, you guessed. These Lucky charm players did much better than the other volunteers.

Another luck experiment involved a psychologist who put an ad in a newspaper. He stated he was looking for lucky and unlucky people to read through a newspaper and then tell him what they had read. This caused great anxiety among the “unlucky” people. Professor Weisman had secretly placed a large message halfway through the newspaper saying: “Tell the experimenter you have seen this and win £250.” This message took up half of the page and was written in type that was more than two inches high. The people who felt they were “lucky” tended to see the ad in the paper more times. From this experiment and a few others, he discovered that lucky people:

• Listen to their gut instincts – they are normally right.
• Are open to new experiences and breaking your normal routine.
• Spend a few moments each day remembering things that went well.
• Visualize themselves being lucky before an important meeting or telephone call. Luck is very often a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What about when you’re not feeling so lucky?

Every time you feel unlucky and are starting to complain about it, try this: Say, “I am so lucky.” Or if you’re with your children, “We are so lucky.” If your children hear that often enough they believe. I know because I have three lucky kids!!

Others examples:

• You are stuck in traffic: “We are so lucky we have a good car with music in it during this traffic.”

• “We are so lucky we’re late. Maybe we’re missing an accident that we might have been in if we were on time.”

• When it’s raining: “Aren’t we lucky it’s raining so that our garden will get all the water it needs.”

• When looking at the moon: “Aren’t we lucky to have to a moon? Not every planet has one.”

Lucky thinking appreciates sunsets and sunrises. Lucky thinking knows that the little things like family are what really matters. Lucky thinking is open to change. It’s receptive to new ideas and tries to see the best in life.

When you start to think this way, you also begin to attract the good things that you feel lucky about into your life. It’s interesting that feeling that you’re lucky works. It improves your confidence. It helps you to find opportunity and maybe helps you to work just a little harder! Although it can’t be proved either way, I believe we can make our own luck, because thinking make it so.

So your homework is to try this for a couple of days or even a week and see what happens. When you combine Lucky Thinking with Viewfinder Thinking, you’ll be amazed at the results!

**I just have to add what a friend of my husband’s has to say about the Zen Papa’s luck:

“John, you’re so lucky that if you were pushed off a cliff you’d land on a hundred dollar bill.”

(This post was originally published March 17, 2012)

Like what you’ve read and want Zen Mama delivered to your email? I promise your email won’t be shared. Subscribe here:

For further reading:
The Loser’s Guide To Getting Lucky

30 Day Experiment

This entry was posted in Changing Ourselves, Gratitude, optimism, Positve Thought and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Start Thinking You’re Lucky With Lucky Thinking!

1. Lovely Betsy,

Yes – we are lucky to be here and alive, this is what I keep telling my kids so often when they start cribbing or complaining about things. Making them see the positives and good things, even where there are negative and bad ones around makes them and us too feel we are lucky. It’s almost like positive thinking and LOA – when you think – you feel good and positive, and it’s a state of mind – isn’t it? Always lucky :)

Thanks for sharing. :)

BTW – Congrats on making it to the list at my blog of top women bloggers :)

Love this one about luck! I agree that we bring our own luck. Some of us lightly dance through life, while others feel burdened down by their challenges. We all might not get every break in life, but our attitude can make all the difference. Happiness, like luck is based on how quickly you can rebound from setbacks and get back to your normal state, which hopefully is one of feeling lucky. Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!

3. Elle says:

It’s all about perspective Betsy…and you put it so beautifully in your post. We have a saying from across the pond that I use a lot “I’m such a lucky ducky” and when I’m told I lead a charmed life…that’s my response. :-)

But you and I both know it’s all about the vibration of being we’re operating in. And choosing the view we’ll take of life makes all the difference.

Love the post, love you,
    Elle

Some lucky thinking is similar to grateful thinking. But I prefer your characterization. And those experiments are very interesting, aren’t they?! I am definitely a lucky thinker.

5. Yes, there are things to feel lucky for everywhere we look! I love how you point out that lucky thinking knows that it’s the little things that matter, and that you reframe what would sometimes be considered frustrating situations (e.g. a traffic jams). I try to do the same in life, and find it makes all the difference in my state of mind – and in what I attract.

Great post!

Christine

6. Awesome post, Betsy. You know, many times people think that it’s unwise to rely on “luck.” What I like about this is that you are saying that it’s okay to have a “lucky”mentality, because we’ll attract good “luck” or fortune to our lives. I really like the positive spin on it. Nicely done! I really enjoyed this one! Thank you!

Hugs, Betsy. I kept wondering why I felt a sense of deja vu as I read the post – then I saw your note at the end! :D
    The Sury house works on similar lines. Only, we say let’s count our blessings! :D
    Was even better to read this post, this time around!

Love you.

Vidya

8. Debbie says:

Hi
    Betsy,

I have to say i am one of the lucky people. Very good post and i am glad that you ran it again. We do make our own lucky. i have to admit sometimes when I hear people say I am so @#lucky (don’t like saying the word or typing it. :) ) I want to smack them along the side of the head and let them know that they are bring this on themselves and just STOP IT! I do end up saying a little prayer for them.

You have a wonderful day and thank you for sharing.
    Debbie

9. Dad says:

Whether it’s due to your positive attitude or just “lucky”, there’s no
    question that you and John been very fortunate getting what you wish
    for. “When you change the way you look at things, things you look at
    change… in your case for the better! How lucky! Example, selling your
    house so quickly at the price you wanted, and then finding another where
    you wanted. How wonderful!
    Love,
    Dad

Betsy-
    Wonderful post – as far as I’m concerned Zen-Mam and Zen-Papa got it right~“Do you think you’re lucky because you really are lucky? Or… are you lucky because thinking makes it so?”

How many times have you heard someone say ‘You need to work hard and have a little luck in order to be successful”? Maybe more of us should be saying ‘you need to work and maintain a positive attitude in order to be successful’.

Thanks for your wise words Betsy :)

11. LV Neiman says:

When one is in the present, one is aware of those lucky opportunities. Lucky I saw your blog today!

12. Hey Betsy.

Great topic and post!

While I’m not a big fan of luck or destiny. I do believe that if you decide to do different, think different, react different, eat different, live different and communicate different…. you’ll be different.

Better.
    Leaner.
    Lighter.
    Healthier.
    Excited.
    Happy.
    Fulfilled.
    Content.

Creating your best life, for me, has nothing to do with luck or destiny… and everything to do with decisions.

Craig

13. Cornelius says:

Hey, Betsy! I’m a huge fan of positive thinking. I haven’t used the “lucky thinking” angle so far. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing :)

14. rachid says:

Great post , lucky I read this article today really I like it thank you so much for sharing this useful tips .

15. Chu Nam says:

I agree with review about things happen as lucky. I mean we living with ourselves all of time, we don’t worry or fear anything. Everything happen as lesson or opportunity for you and me. Let it go and be ourselves. Just be fun and greater.

16. sean says:

I’m a pretty religious person I’ve gone through some tough times like everyone else but after 62 years im happier now with having less then anytime in my life..If God is luck then I am very lucky .

I’m glad you’re lucky Sean! And I’m really glad you’re happy!!
    Thanks for the comment!