I’m a big lover of dandelions. And they’re everywhere now! Dandelions are considered weeds. And I, too, do not want them in my garden. However, I love it when they begin to bloom because they are a timeless symbol of spring. What can a dandelion teach us?
First, not too long ago dandelions were an essential part of life. The word dandelion comes from French for “dent-de-lion” teeth of a lion.The flower was a native to Europe and Asia. They were brought to this country by European immigrants in the 1700s for its many uses as a food, a medicinal herb, as dandelion wine or tea. I was surprised to read that in Belgium, they actually manage and grow dandelions in crops. To read more about health benefits click here or here for actual recipes.
So what’s the secret wisdom of Dandelions?
1. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Plato was the first to utter this phrase that is sometimes considered a cliche but is so true. Remember, you are the beholder of your life. You can view the “weeds” in your life as beautifully flawed, interesting and leading you to your next place in life. Find beauty in life and your life will become filled with beauty. There is beauty in the most common things for those who have eyes to see it. Be mindful and look for that beauty today.
2. What do you see, Wishes or Weeds? Is your attitude positive or negative? A positive attitude can change everything in your life. And your attitude is contagious! You can help the people around you by being positive as well. Try to be completely positive for a day and see where it will lead you.
3. You can let go of expectations. Just as a dandelion lets go of it’s seeds, you can let of what you find yourself holding onto. Letting go of expectations can free you and the people around you to do what you’re all meant to do! It doesn’t mean you don’t have goals or aspirations. It just means that you or the ones you love aren’t being held back by what you thinkcan’t do.
4. Make a wish…DREAM! I love that when we are children we are always making wishes. As adults we live more in reality. I dare you to dream and make your dream a reality! You have many talents that my not be recognized by yourself or the people in your life. Be confident. Develop your talents or what you like, let it become a passion and head in that direction.
5. Let go of negative talk. You are not a “weed” but a beautiful flower! How has negative talk ever helped you? Thoughts can be like weeds, taking hold and crowding out the positive. Concentrate on the good! Stop criticizing yourself and bloom!
6. Become a child again! The dandelion is a child’s flower – we never say no to picking dandelions! Children can curl the stems in water (Take the stem, split it into three parts and put it in water. So fun!). Paint with dandelions. Blow the seeds! Be mindful – go outside and be in the moment.
Have you ever had dandelion wine or tea or eaten the greens? Let me know in the comments. I’m inspired now to try an actual Dandelion recipe! I’ll let you know how it goes!